Friday 16 September 2016

4 life lesson from Rubik Cube- learn everyday


I bought my son a Rubic cube to take his time away from TV. After showing him how to make one side of the Rubik's cube, he asked me how to make all six sides of the cube. Voila!! I didn't know that! I decided to solve all six sides of Rubik cube myself. But to my surprise, it was not easy; It took me multiple attempts to get it right! In this process, I learned four valuable lessons that I am sharing with you:


1. Role Model: When we are playing a role of a leader in the organisation or as a parent at home, every new challenge is an opportunity to role model what we want them to do. We need to get out of preaching mentality and teach them with our actions. I always teach my son; everything can be learned if you put your heart, head and perseverance. This was my time to put these principles into action.


2. Follow the guidelines even if you cannot understand them: Rubik cube can be solved with a combination of moves that you can understand and many algorithms that you do not understand. I followed many moves by memorising them, gradually the reason behind those moves unveiled to me. Isn't this applicable to many situations in our life? Many times in life we want to understand before we do anything, it works, but slows down our learning curve. On the other hand, if we follow the master/guru we learn at an accelerated pace, and as we transcend to a higher level of understanding, things start to make sense. I realised that learning begins when we surrender our ego. As they say, you cannot connect the dots moving forward you can only connect them moving backwards.

3. Perseverance is the key to success: I must admit that it was not easy to learn the cube even by looking at the videos. If you make one wrong move, you have to start again. These multiple iterations are frustrating, but with a perseverance of doing it again, and again I was finally able to solve it. It taught me that perseverance is more critical than overrated intellect. 

4. Reflect back: As I decided to share my experience in this blog, I learnt that reflection is important to learn in life. This small incident taught me so many things that I would have missed If I would not have taken the time to reflect back on the whole episode. For me personally,  taking time away from mobile/internet activity was an important step to start experiencing and enjoying life.

Well, every moment of our life teaches us something, we just have to open our eyes and grab the opportunity!!

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written !!
    I completely agree with your views..actions of course speak louder than words

    ReplyDelete